A hearty fall and winter salad made with massaged kale and roasted butternut squash. Massaging the kale helps to soften the leaves making it easier to chew and helps change the bitter taste to a little bit sweeter.
Roasted Butternut Squash and Massaged Kale Salad
Write a review
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 1 tbsp toasted pepitas
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries
- Lemon wedge
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat over to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel and cube squash, lay out on baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Drizzle squash with olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake squash until soft, around 45 minutes. Remove from heat and put aside.
- In a medium sized bowl drizzle kale with olive oil and a squirt of lemon juice, massage oil and lemon juice into kale for about a minute and set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together ingredients for vinaigrette.
- Add roasted squash, pine nuts, pepitas and cranberries to bowl with massaged kale. Toss with vinaigrette and serve.