Roasted Sweet Potato Hummus
Not your regular old hummus, roasting the sweet potato in this recipe helps to add a delicious twist. Roasting the garlic helps to remove some of the pungency and brings out a much sweeter and softer taste. The sweetness of roasted sweet potatoes and garlic pair perfectly with the flavours of smokey paprika and chipotle for a spicy kick. This is a great change up from your regular chickpea hummus. Sweet potatoes are a great source of vitamin A, vitamin C, manganese, copper, vitamins B1, B2, B6, potassium and dietary fibre. The fibre and protein in chickpeas can help to regulate blood sugar, you can feel good about eating this hummus yourself or serving it to guests as an appetizer. Serve with crudités, crackers or bread or add a dollop to your salad.
- 1 cup sweet potato, large diced and roasted
- 1 head garlic, roasted
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 1/2 cup olive oil + drizzle for roasting vegetables and more if needed to smooth hummus
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- Preheat over to 425 degrees fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and large dice sweet potato, spread on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Cut top off garlic bulb, drizzle with olive oil and wrap in aluminum foil. Add to baking sheet with sweet potato. Bake for 30 minutes or until soft.
- In a food processor combine sweet potato, roasted garlic (squeeze roasted head of garlic to remove roasted garlic), chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, spices and seasonings. Process until smooth adding additional olive oil if needed.
- Drizzle with olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes and smoked paprika when serving.